Wednesday 9 December 2009

Training begins! (After Christmas)

Hello Chaps! Rick here. We've agreed to begin training after Christmas, gives us both a chance to pack on a few more pounds (which we will be needing, I assure you..) and for me to recover fully from my ankle injury, that's been the bane of my life for the last 6-7 months or so..

In the first month of training we will be slowly increasing our distances, most likely starting at around the 5 mile mark, hopefully in the last week of the month hitting a few 10 miler's. This will hopefully help us avoid injuries such as shin splints, as well as Phil's mysterious 'foot' pains he endured in Newquay.

After the first month, when we've got back into the swing of things (seeing as I haven't been on a proper run in far too long), we will be picking it up dramatically. We will be trying to fit in 3 or 4 larger distance (12-15miles) runs a week, often over 'horrible' terrain, this will help increase our endurance, which we will be needing in the Jungle. We will try and maintain this throughout next term, then when we return for Summer term (after a few weeks of much needed rest) we will once again push harder, hopefully covering between 80-100 miles a week.

This will give us an excuse to be eating well over 5000 calories a day (Something I nearly already do, but Phil's a soft arse, and only consumes around 2500...)

Anyways, I'm sure we will have lots of pictures of us Sand Dune running coming in the next month or so.

Phil has proposed we go to the Lakes for a week training during the Christmas Holiday. I really, really don't want to, he may touch me.

Rick

1 comment:

  1. Hey guys. I followed a link off the lancashire evening post website to wish you luck. Im a long distance runner so can appreciate how extreme 222km is! anyways good luck & enjoy the extra cals.

    Kate x

    ReplyDelete