Friday 30 October 2009

''The most dangerous race on earth'' - ITV

First time I've/We've ever done one of these!

HIYA! I'm Rick, I presume it will be myself writing the majority of these posts due to Harvey genuinely believing there are only 2 good things in the world, Bitter and, well, I wont go into the other one...The 'other thing' will be taking up the majority of his time though trust me, and thus, you're stuck with me.

We are currently entered into the Jungle Marathon. It takes place in the Amazon Rain forest in South America, and lasts for 6 days, covering 200km. On one of those days we will have to smash out nearly 60miles in one session! Although the distance doesn't sound too extreme (Its around 130miles), the main problem will be the terrain and the humidity! We will be forced to walk the majority of it (most likely 60%), and anybody who knows Phil Harvey, will assure you that I will want to get this race over and done with as quickly as possible!

Phil is adamant we can't win it, I feel otherwise. I believe if we come in with good times on the first 4 stages, which are only around 12miles each on average, then we have a good chance. I'm going to let him set the pace for the first 4 seeing as hes quicker over shorter distances. I however have the endurance, and shall be pace making on the longer stretches. Aslong as we dont come in last on the 60miler, then winning the thing is a possibility. We've already set ourselves the aim of not being in the Jungle during the night (most runners will spend some part of the race in the dark, especially on the 60miler as theres only around 10-11 hours of sunlight a day). When it goes dark in the Jungle, apparently it comes to life, and all the insects, animals etc come out hunting, I'm sure the thought of this will be keeping our legs moving! In fact, Tarantulas come out at night! So, yes, I will not be stopping for a rest. Even if Harveys feet are hurting like they were in the sea in Newquay when we went Surfing last year, soft arse.

We will also have to contend with Piranha, Anacondas, Vampire Bats (I did not know these existed until recently, but they carry RABIES, and they can bite you, and you wouldn't realise for 30minutes!)...There are also silly amounts of spiders (my biggest fear) and snakes (Harvey's biggest fear), as well as Monkeys! We've been warned, at night, if we hear the monkeys screaming, it means there are Jaguars around, and perhaps a few wild boars!



Each year around 60-90 people enter the race, and in December (I think) there is a documentary about it, so get watching people!

Anyways, the whole trip will cost around 2500-3000 each. We've agreed to put up a large proportion of this amount each, with the rest going to a charity we will think about the race is coming up. Our entry fee (£1600 each) will also go towards helping the inhabitants of the Amazon Rain Forest.

We aren't asking for money on this site, that was not the aim of setting it up. But obviously, any donations would be most welcome and would be put towards a good cause :)

I will be adding more info along the way.

Cheers!

Rick and Phil

1 comment:

  1. well phil and rick we wish you all the best in your journey and great to hear that its also for a good cause. you will love the experience. Scott&Janice

    ReplyDelete